Thursday, February 5, 2009

Director and subject bond in filming of documentary


I’m sitting in a woman’s hospital room watching her review footage from our week-long shoot for my documentary on LGBT aging issues, Gen Silent. KrysAnne is trangender and terminally ill so it has been a hard job documenting her in the battle of her life. But it’s a joy to show her footage.


The silence in the room as she listens on headphones is suddenly broken by laughter and a raised eyebrow in my direction. “I really don’t look like I’m dying, that’s for sure.”

There is no cure for her cancer and no clear idea of how many more weeks she has to live.
But in this single moment of her life as she looks into that camera playing back our interview, you can see her learning about herself- and she likes what she sees.

No comments:

Post a Comment