Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Docudharma: Avoiding becoming part of Gen Silent

by: RobynFri May 06, 2011 at 15:00:00 PDT

On Thursday I went to a retirement party for the woman with whom I have been co-coordinating the Bloomfield College Gay/Non-Gay Alliance since I started working full-time here in 2001. It got me thinking about my own impending retirement and what will happen as I grow older.

Together with that, there was a news item about a film festival in Canada, called the Fairy Tales Queer Film Festival in Calgary, which is showing, among many other films, Gen Silent, a film about elderly GLBT people who fear they will have to go back in the closet in their last years to be treated as they wish to be. Below is the trailer for this documentary:

GEN Silent Trailer 2.0 from Stu Maddux on Vimeo.


There is another documentary about the making of this movie...or at least part of it, which was shown last November on In the Life. It's about 28 minutes in length, but it should wrench your heart.



If you, like me, need some resources to prepare yourself for your Golden Years, I have gathered them here.  More

No comments:

Post a Comment